Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    I am in talks with a guy who has a set, only issue(s) is he is in Tallahassee,Fl ( 'bout 6 hours away), and I do not know what he wants for them yet.

    He says they are in great shape( but one mans great is another's piss poor), were soffited mounted in a school studio and the grills/hardware are in excellent shape. He also stated thing only thing that might be needed is some 800 or 400 sanding, followed by some tung/wood oil.

    What should I offer/fair price?

    He seems pretty experienced with dealing in vintage audio, but it seems that most (in the biz) just part out the speakers and trash/ toss out the cabs. I do have things I could trade.

    Pics should be on the way, and I will follow with the link when received.
    Will follow up shortly....


    -chris

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Just my .02, fair in this case would be determined by what you can afford to offer. Try to get some photos if you can, ask him to show the "worst" damage/features. Don't be afraid to offer low as they're a long way from you, and getting them home probably won't be a free venture.

    604 loaded 620's are "enhancing" my environment as i type this.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Here's pics of what he has.

    620 A's - a set on Flickr

    I asked for more pics of the sides and backs, said he will tomorrow.

    They are also small photos. They prginally came with 604-8G's.


    Gonna discuss $$$ price tomorrow.


    Later,


    -chris

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Awwwwwwwwwwwww!

    I'd offer way low as the openings for the crossovers have been hacked, and will be impossible to repair without being visible.

    Did you get XO's with your duplexes?

    FWIW, there's currently a pair of 32343 XO's on ebay which are IMO a vast improvement in sound over the stock 8G crossover, and fit the stock openings.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Hey Bowtie!

    "as the openings for the crossovers have been hacked, and will be impossible to repair without being visible"

    And this is why I love this forum. I would not even have caught that, even from the small pics he gave me.

    After you told me me , did a google image search and looked for all the 620 cabs it could bring up., Luckily I had ward's web site saved, and he has a ton of pics of Altec's in their cabs.

    Here: Gallery: Altec he shows quite a few and they do not have the 2 pot XO, that also have the same port orientation.

    When we will get to discussing price, I will bring this to light to him. I will also give him links other images as well. I also looked at some Japanese site that showed the same differences.


    I ended up buying some GPA XO's from Stephaen on the AA for $100/pr.


    Thanks again,


    -chris

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    604 loaded 620's are "enhancing" my environment as i type this.

    Hi bowtie!

    What kind of 604? I have got another 620 cab for my 604E. It?s port seems to be (didn?t measure it - will do tonight) at least twice as big as at ALL 620s i ever saw . .
    The cabs are "stage-like" - stop-wheels and metal corners/metal grill and handles on the sides.

    I know the 604E is somewhat "special" . . but i?m surprised a bit by the vent?s size.
    It?s around 13x45cm . . . (5,1x17,7")

    best, Klaus

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Hi Klaus,

    604-8G w/late style GPA cones, and GPA 34647 diaphragms.
    Model17a
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  8. #8
    Hostboard Member klausesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    89
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    Hi Klaus,
    604-8G w/late style GPA cones, and GPA 34647 diaphragms.

    Hi bowtie!

    Beautyful wood and color! Looks very fine. The parameters of the 8G are quite different from the E?s i recall.
    Didn?t measure the E yet. I guess the magnets would need a recharging anyway - maybe i can find someone here who can do it . . but i doubt.
    Sending them to GPA woulke b a bit complicate and expensive i think.

    Do you - or does anybody - have a clue regarding the usual vent size of the E?

    best, Klaus

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 620 cabs found!! -maybe.....

    Hey bowtie,

    Great looking cabs you got there....

    Well the guy wants $150 for the pair of cabs.

    Not wanting to pay anything outta pocket, since I would have to drive 6 1/2 hours one way, I asked would he be willing to do a trade, went through the list of what I have and willing to trade, I stated I had a pair of 4311's, and he said he wanted those.

    I countered with give me $200 for the cabs, and I will trade you a set of JBL 4311's shown here:

    JBL 4311's - a set on Flickr

    They are in good condition considering their age, minus one little dimple on the side of a tweeter, other than that they are great , and I kinda do not want to let them go.....a little back story to them..


    Is this a fair deal? I sent him the email of the link and I have not heard from him.
    I am ready to hit the road as soon as he says yes, I want to get these 604's up 'n running.

    Thanks

    -chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.